I’m writing over at The Glorious Table today! Here’s a preview:
I recently read a devotional based on the story of David and Goliath in 1 Samuel 17. The author suggested writing out the truths and lies we saw in that chapter. So I did.
My breakdown of truth and lies in 1 Samuel 17, verse by verse:
- 12: David is the son of Ephrathite of Bethlehem in Judah, Jesse.
- 12: David is one of eight sons.
- 14: David is the youngest son.
- 15: David shepherds his father’s flocks.
- 29: David should be able to challenge the men about Goliath.
- 32: David’s words and actions are the same.
- 39: Saul’s armor isn’t right for David.
- 45: David acts in God’s name.
- 28: Eliab, his brother, says David has a wicked heart.
- 33: Saul, his king, says David is too young to fight.
David was a shepherd stepping into the role of a soldier. Many men before him had attempted and failed to kill Goliath. Did you notice what I noticed? Although this chapter has more truths than lies, the lies feel weightier.