As a coach’s wife, I’ve learned to live for several months of each year striving to be fully present exactly where I am while simultaneously preparing my heart for the what if’s. What if we move, what if we stay, what if staff leaves, what if, what if, what if.
Here’s what I’ve learned about living in the what if’s:
- It doesn’t change anything that will come
- It’s not possible to prepare enough for whatever comes
- It takes so much energy that many other things slip through the cracks.
Somewhere along the way, a new mantra began. Control what you can control and leave the rest up to God. This mantra was freeing in so many ways, and at the same time, figuring out the difference between what to control and what to surrender is revealing itself as a lifelong learning process.
Using Lara Casey’s Cultivate What Matters strategies and the Powersheets I’ve narrowed my focus for 2018 into a few sections. Each section had smaller goals and an action plan for each goal.
My big picture goals are:
- Physical Health
- Spiritual Health
- Increased Family Investment
- Write Something Every Day
There are goals for each category as well as actionable steps. Here’s the thing, nothing on this list is new. What is new is a deeper understanding of the why behind each goal as well as each action step.
- The ultimate goal is progress; any progress is great
- Tending sheets are a built-in monthly time to reflect and reorient
- I’m keeping goals S.M.A.R.T and making sure everything complements each other instead of fighting for time and attention.
- No more what-ifs. Present day living only.
There is a 6-month version of Powersheets as well, and of course, these aren’t necessary for setting goals. Still, I’ll be tracking my progress and Powersheets reflections through the year. I’m not an affiliate, just an enthusiast. 😉