“The bulk of people who failed to finish well in Scripture failed in the last half of their life.”Howard Hendricks
Howard Hendricks presents the thesis that only 30% of people in Scripture finished well. Put another way, they fulfilled their calling. This means that 70% fell short of God’s plan for their lives.
Hendricks points out that the 70% who didn’t live out their calling waivered in the later half of their lives. He breaks down success into four categories to explain his point:
People who finished their life Running (Hebrews 12:1-3): Abraham, Joshua, Daniel, Paul, Peter
People who finished Walking (fell short of God’s intention, ramifications of disobedience plagued them, even though they finished with God): David, Jehoshaphat, Hezekiah
People who finished Limping (on a decline in the later phases of their life): Gideon, Eli, Solomon
People who became Disqualified (strayed completely from their calling): Absalom, Ahab, Saul
Pursuing a Calling
Pursuing a calling is an amazing opportunity to partner with God and thrive in the fullness of your strengths, gifts, and passions. But that doesn’t mean it’s an easy journey to walk without help. In fact, one of the most important lessons we learn throughout Scripture is that those who failed often did so after they chose to stop listening to the wise counsel of mentors or trusted friends.
Those Who Finished Well
- They persevered in difficult situations
- They were compassionate and empathetic
- They lived disciplined lives within the boundaries that God established
- They had a perspective that enabled them to focus on their calling
- They experienced intimacy with Christ and repeated times of inner renewal
- They maintained a positive learning attitude and lifestyle all their lives and were committed to the Lord and his Word as the main source of that learning
Pursuing a Calling as a Creative? Join Called Creatives
In December I handed my second long writing project off to my editor and signed up for Called Creatives. I’ve spent a long season writing and developing and it has been so rich. I’ve learned a lot. But the truth is, I’m tired. I know what my calling is, and I know everything I have done so far has been an act of obedience. Now I’m taking time to further develop my skills.
Called Creatives Offers:
- Writer Training
- Speaker Training
- Podcasting Training
- Industry Insider Interviews & Live Coaching
- Mastermind Groups
- Networking Opportunities Through a Private Mighty Network
You have the resources you need to finish pursuing your creative calling well at your fingertips! Don’t let this opportunity pass by; you’ll surround yourself with mentors, peers, and cheerleaders as you run to the finish line. Check out Called Creatives here.